home    our menu    history   links    contact us  where we are

You are always welcome at our door!

- Click here to view our online photo gallery

Welcome to Aunt Lauras Tearoom website - Featuring Teas of the World, Home Cooked Meals, Gift Shop and Canadian Art displays - Click on our Events Schedule Calendar for what's viewing soon or give us a call today at (705) 277-2751
The Town of Bethany - 1910
Town of Bethany - 1910
How the town Bethany was named.

Around the year 1856, with the construction of the Midland Railway from Port Hope through Millbrook to Lindsay, quite a settlement sprang up close to the railroad track.

A meeting was called at the property of Michael McAllister who was the original settler (now owned by Kathleen Morton), Various names were suggested Fellsville, Mullen Town, Grahamsville.

Mr. McAllister suggested "We have Zion to the south, Ebenezer to the east, Mount Horeb, Hebron and Bethal to the north and west, let us call this place Bethany in accordance with all other Biblical names, for it is set amoung the wood hills." And so the name Bethany was given.

Aunt Laura's Tea Room, M. R. Art and the Bethany Outdoor Theatre now use this property once owned by McAllister. The barn where the meeting was held still stands.
Violet Carr
Rolling Hills
Click here to View Upcoming Events

© 2012 Aunt Lauras Tearoom. All rights reserved. 1402 Hwy. 7A Bethany, Ontario L0A 1A0 - (705) 277-2751